Friday July 5 2019
We have signed two memorandums of agreement (MOA) with Canada Post that define the timelines to implement the language that has been agreed to and signed during this round of negotiations. We also signed a MOA that will update all expiry dates in the Urban collective agreement to the date of signing of the new collective agreement.
Updating the Expiry Dates
This is a very important agreement. This means that any clause in the Urban collective agreement with an expiry date will be automatically updated to reflect the expiry date of our new collective agreement. Some key protections, such as Appendix “I” – Job Retention will be insured by this agreement.
Implementing Signed Language
Throughout this long and difficult round of bargaining, the parties were able to agree on some issues and signed some language. The two memorandums, one for RSMC and one for Urban, guarantee that this signed language will become effective prior to us getting new collective agreements.
Some of the signed language is:
RSMC Bargaining Unit:
- elimination of 6-month waiting period for the dental plan for new employees, as of
July 1, 2019
- up to 5 years of medical leave without pay
- new bidding processes after restructures
- access to information on routes and restructures
Urban Operations Bargaining Unit:
- access to information for letter carrier restructures and routes
- a pilot project on temporary employee availability
- a study on mail composition, looking at the weight and volume of mail being carried
Both Bargaining Units:
- coverage for fertility drugs
- promote the wearing of slip resistant footwear
- a workplace diversity and employment committee.
We will provide more detailed information in future bulletins.
Some Agreements Are Possible. Time to Negotiate the Rest!