Knox Day Nursery, Winnipeg, MB
Thursday April 12 2018
Did you know that CUPW negotiated the CUPW Child Care Fund with Canada Post Corporation in 1991? We are the only union in North America to negotiate a fund to help members with their child care needs.
Great things happen when we stand together for positive change, just as we did a decade earlier with the achievement of maternity leave.
The Fund is used for projects that:
- Provide child care services and information;
- Provide support and services for members who have young or adult children with disabilities;
- Undertake child care needs assessments for members, and;
- Conduct research related to child care policy.
Child Care Fund Projects
The union has eight Child Care Fund projects from coast-to-coast-to-coast. All of the projects are community-based, non-profit models. Each project can also accommodate children with special needs and they provide at least one of the following services:
- Child care centres that accommodate irregular hours of work;
- Licensed care in the home of a caregiver to accommodate early morning and late evening child care needs;
- Child care information services.
We also have two national projects, Special Needs and Moving On, specifically for members who have young or adult children with disabilities.
While CUPW would love to have a child care project in every community across this country, sadly no one fund could possibly achieve this. That is why CUPW works with our child care allies in advocating for a national publicly funded child care system for all working families.
Go Online for More Information
To learn more about the CUPW Child Care Fund, you can find the latest information, resources and supports offered to CUPW members at:
Be sure to check out our child care project videos and downloadable brochures. You can also find out more information on regulated child care in your area, learn more about child care policy issues and get the latest research on child care. As always, feedback is most welcome – you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org, please put Child Care in the subject line.
2nd National Vice-President