Friday September 4 2020
CUPW is currently accepting applications for the position of External Organizer for the Pacific and Toronto regions. We will be hiring organizers across the country to help bring more workers into our union and to share in the benefits that unionized workers enjoy.
The industries that postal workers inhabit are constantly changing, and as more couriers, warehouse workers, cleaners, and others sign union cards, CUPW changes too. We understand that to meet the challenges we face as a union, it’s critical that we improve the rights and working conditions of every worker in our sector.
As a CUPW External Organizer you would work with the CUPW organizing department and be responsible for all phases of external organizing drives, as required. This is not a full-time position within the union. You would be booked off for periods of time to work on particular campaigns.
Work Location: Varies depending on the campaign.
Pay: Union Representative rate.
- Work with CUPW locals and regions in the development and coordination of organizing campaigns as determined by the National Executive Board
- Identify, assess, and recommend organizing targets, in collaboration with the CUPW organizing department
- Worksite mapping and contact list building
- Maintain database of workers
- Develop organizing campaign plans – including objectives and timelines
- Conduct outreach to workers – identify and train workplace leaders
- Prepare regular reports on campaigns.
- Must be a CUPW member in good standing.
- Ability to travel and work long, irregular hours – including weekends, early mornings, evenings, and late nights as needed.
- Strong organization and communication skills
- Ability to work with others in a racially and culturally diverse membership.
- Ability to work under pressure and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to multi-task, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated history of union and community organizing experience.
- Facilitation and training experience considered an asset.
- Basic computer skills, including MS Word and MS Excel.
Applications are encouraged from members of equity seeking groups.
JOB CONTACT INFORMATION
To apply for this position, please forward the attached application form by September 16, 2020 to:
Jean Philippe Grenier
3rd National Vice-President
377 Bank Street, Ottawa, ON K2P 1Y3
You can also click on the following to access,